It’s been one of those weeks. You know, the ones where it feels like we’re losing at parenting EVERY. WAKING. MOMENT. And probably even when we’re sleeping (but at least we don’t know it). Instead of going into details (because, my god, who has the time to list out all the failures?), I am going to list the multitude of ways I am a good mother. I know. It’s a bit of departure from my usual blog fare but try and stay with me.
1. I read Fancy Nancy and Magic Treehouse books, outloud, over and over, and do the voices.
2. I created, sewed, and hot glue gunned a “Cozy Nook” for reading at the top of the stairs.
3. I make chicken nuggets for Zoey on lentil taco night so she will have something to eat.
4. I spend considerable time and enthusiasm discussing the existence of fairies, Santa, pirates, princesses, and Caspert (the ghost who lives in my closet).
5. I sacrifice my sanity in the moment in order to mold my daughter into a kind, responsible, generous human being in the long run. (For example: Me: No, you may not eat under the table like a dog. Zoey: (throws herself on the ground) AGGHHHHHH! GRRRRR!! BAHHHHHHH! I NEVER GET TO DO ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!)
6. I make flower hair clips for Zoey because most of the ones out there are for white girl hair. And then I make them for all her friends as birthday party favors.
7. I keep princess bandaids in stock.
8. I pretend that wiggling Zoey’s loose tooth brings me great joy and wonderment when really it makes me nauseous.
9. I apologize sincerely when I screw up, lose my shit, and yell (or otherwise speak meanly) at my kid.
10. I still sing “American Pie” every night at bedtime.
11. I let Skittles the Guinea Pig (may he rest in peace) come stay with us over spring break.
12. I allow Zoey to comb and style my hair.
What about you? Tell us something that makes you a good parent!